A women’s life is difficult as it is, taking care of the house, work, social life and looking good while doing it. This is no easy task and a sudden appearance of hair on your face is the last thing you need. The facial hair growth can make any women scream and can put her in great distress.
Excessive dark, thick, coarse, facial hair growth in females, which appears in a male pattern, is referred to as hirsutism. This can involve single or multiple areas such as moustache and beard area, chest, lower abdomen, back and inner thighs.
The amount of body hair you have is largely determined by the genetic makeup. You will see a wide range of normal hair distribution, color, and thickness due to differences in heredity. However, hirsutism is a medical condition that can arise from hormonal imbalance or excess male hormones called androgens, primarily testosterone. Sometimes, it can also be hereditary.
When excessively high androgen levels cause hirsutism, other signs might develop over time, a process called virilization. Signs of virilization might include:
- Deepening of voice
At puberty, a girl’s ovaries begin to produce a mix of female and male sex hormones. This causes hair to grow in the armpits and pubic area. If the mix is unbalanced with a high proportion of male sex hormones, which is androgens, it can cause hirsutism.
High circulating levels of insulin in women has been a cause of hirsutism because it can stimulate the ovarian cells to produce androgens. This can affect women with insulin resistance. High levels of insulin may also activate the insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-1) receptor in those same cells. And again, the result is increased androgen production. At times, Hirsutism can be an adverse effect of certain medications too.
Though facial hair growth seems to be a big concern, here is a list of surprisingly effective home remedies, you can use for facial hair removal:
1) Homemade Wax
Creating wax at home is actually easy.
- Pour two tablespoons of sugar into a microwave safe bowl or container, and add in a tablespoon of honey and water each.
- Place the mixture in the microwave for 30 seconds and boil it until the sugar dissolves and mixes with the liquids.
- You will now have a thick, waxy substance.
- Use a spatula or wax applicator to stir the wax, keep in consideration that your skin should not be exposed to the rough surface and hence smooth surface equipment is recommended. Now, apply it to the parts of your face with the facial hair you want to eliminate.
- Place a strip of cloth over the freshly applied wax, let it cool for a couple of seconds, then pull.
- The wax will rip out the hair, leaving your face fresh and clean.
- If the homemade wax cools, place it back in the double boiler, or heat it in the microwave for 5 to 10 seconds. You can repeat this process of facial hair removal as many times as it takes to strip your face of unwanted hair and to get rid of facial hair growth.
You may be thinking eww, now. But, you might just be saying wow, after. Eggs are packed with protein, meaning they are wonderful for your skin! They will provide the nutrients your skin needs to produce collagen, which will keep it fresh and young.
- Drop the white of 1 egg into a bowl, and mix in a tablespoon of regular table sugar and half a tablespoon of cornstarch. Beat the mixture until it the paste is nice and smooth.
- Apply the paste to your face, and let it sit for a few minutes–until dry. The paste will harden into a thick mask, which you can literally grab and RIP off.
- Please be careful not to hurt your skin as you pull the mask. A quick rip will pluck the hairs without damaging your skin.
There are many such home remedies to unwanted special hair, but the results may not be permanent. Furthermore, certain skin types require specific care which can only be best helped by professionals.